Saturday, 19 September 2015

Research Into Similar Products: Genre Conventions

Through watching various music videos, I have been able to see the conventions of indie rock music videos in action. The first I saw was the convention of the band performance. This is a feature used in most indie rock videos. In this particular video, the performance is shot in black and white which is another convention of an indie rock music video. 

The setting in indie rock videos are also pretty simple so that the focus is mostly on the artist and the music. I plan to keep this convention present in my own video by filming it in a field. The video below is set in a shabby house and so reflects the sadness of the song and also draws little attention away from the artist.



In most indie rock videos, the camera shots most commonly used are high/low angle shots, medium close ups and wide shots that show the whole band. I plan to use many medium close ups and high angle shots in my own video to clearly show the actors. Shed Seven use these same shots throughout their whole video below. 



Some indie rock videos contain a story line to help carry the lyrics of the song. I plan to include this convention in my own video as I feel it makes the video more interesting than just a performance. Coffee and TV by Blur is one video that has stuck in my memory since I was a kid and so I think this is a good example of a narrative video.



Indie rock videos sometimes feature unique effects that make them stand out. A Movie Script Ending has a flipbook-like effect to create a sense of nostalgia. 

No comments:

Post a Comment